The raw bean should be soaked in water several hours, boiled for at least ten minutes in fresh water to degrade a toxic compound - the lectin phytohaemagglutinin - found in the bean which cause severe gastric problem.
Number of Servings: 4
500gms Pinto Beans
1½ cups Onion (chopped)
1 tbsp Garlic (minced)
1 Green Bell Pepper (chopped)
1 Carrot (shredded)
1 tbsp Celery (chopped)
½ tsp Dried Basil
¼ tsp Thyme
1 tbsp Chili Powder
1 can Tomato Paste
Salt and Pepper to taste
- Pick the beans and rinse them off very well.
- Bring the Pinto Beans to a boil for five minutes and remove them from the burner and set aside for an hour.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the beans along with 8 cups of water.
- Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the beans are tender.
- Serve with salad and crusty hot rolls.